baħar abjad imsaġar taż-żebbuġ

Under the Patronage of
His Excellency the President of Malta

and
Auberge d’Aragon

The Auberge d’Aragon is one from the seven different ‘houses’ built by the Order of Saint John as accommodation for its Knights. Here specifically, used to reside the Knights which originated from the Langue of Aragon, Navarre and Catalonia. After the Great Siege of 1565 and the eventual foundation of the city of Valletta, construction started in 1571. The façade of the Auberge is characterised by its Mannerist design. Adjacent to it, the Church of Our Lady of Pilar was constructed later to serve the religious needs to the Knights of the Langue.

After the Order was expelled from the island in 1798, the Auberge went through a period of change. Its use varied as throughout the 19th and 20th centuries parts of it were leased, briefly housed the government printing press and served as the Office of the Prime Minister. In terms of appearance, the doric portico is a 19th century addendum. Nowadays, the Auberge in a way is serving similarly as it had served during the period of the Order of Saint John, as it serves as the office of a Ministry.

Getting There

Address

Auberge d’Aragon, Archbishop Street, Valletta
Other Locations

Fort St Angelo, Birgu

Gozo Cultural Centre

Main Guard, Valletta

National Library, Valletta

The Armoury, Birgu

Underground Valletta

Villa Portelli, Kalkara

Grand Master’s Palace and Palace State Rooms

Ġgantija Archaeological Park

Inquisitors’ Palace Birgu

Tal-Pilar Church, Valletta

National Museum for Archaeology, Valletta

St Elmo, Piazza with Arches, Valletta 

St Elmo, Piazza D’Armi, Valletta